Multi-Sensory Impairment course
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the implications of a multi-sensory impairment for communication, mobility and movement, access to information and development
- Explain the additional learning needs associated with a multi-sensory impairment
- Explain how multi-agency teams conduct assessments for students with complex needs
- Contribute to the planning of interventions that take into account a child’s developmental profile and needs
- Analyse and evaluate the visual, acoustic and physical environment of a classroom
- Use the observation tools provided to describe the function skills of learners
- Apply a graduated response to meeting the needs of vision impaired pupils based on the assess, plan, do review cycle
- Devise interventions to develop communication and social skills
- Make reasonable adjustments in the classroom environment to maximise the inclusion of learners
- Identify other multi-agency teams that can collaborate to provide specialist support to schools and families
- Make reasonable adjustments to the curriculum by modifying teaching resources
- Set SMART goals and implement strategies for improving learner outcomes
How much does it cost?
Tutored – usual price
£240.00 , now just £144.00 (including VAT)
- access to your online course for 12 months
- online support from a specialist tutor while you complete the course – typically up to 4 months
- one point of direct contact with your tutor (phone, Skype, FaceTime), which you’ll agree between you
This course is CPD certified.
An employer purchasing places for a number of people might opt for more tutor contact, such as a group workshop, which would incur an additional charge to cover the tutor’s time and travel expenses.
Alternatively, schools or local authorities enrolling a number of employees on a course might opt to have an in-house specialist provide tutor support. In this situation, the in-house specialist would complete the course(s) as a participant first, and take part in tutor training.
Organisations can also be eligible for discounts on multiple purchases – If you’d like to explore options, please get in touch.
Feedback from our participants
“I think this course is a good reminder of all the factors that need to be considered when making sure that the learner has access to the curriculum. A key factor is ensuring that the environment that the learner is supposed to learn in is conducive to learning.
Qualified Teacher of Multi Sensory Impairment
“It really was fascinating thinking about how our senses help us learn, how we would feel if we didn't have those senses and how we would have to adapt. I feel it would greatly benefit the staff involved in the next academic year to do this course too.
“This training has made me consider how the children with MSI percieve the word around them. I am trying to eliminate unnecessary noise and visual distractions, repeating things when important and starting sentences with the child's name. I am thinking more about the needs of the child first.