Courses Free courses Autism for Parents
Autism for Parents
|Achieve a certificate|
If your child has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, you have come to the right place! Autism for Parents* was developed to support you, as a parent or carer, to comprehend the characteristic traits (and triggers) associated with autism so you can build an informed and positive future for your child and family. With lots of authentic videos of parents talking about the issues that most concern them, this short course provides great insight into the ways you can look after yourself as well as support the developmental needs of your child.
This short course takes approximately 5 hours to complete. Content is grouped into modules so you can start your learning journey at a point that responds best to your information needs. There is no tutor but there are public forums to enable you to learn from others and share your experiences. At the end of the course, you can purchase a certificate of achievement once you gain 70% or more in our end of course quiz.
* Through-out this short course, the term ‘parents’ refers to parents, carers and other individuals who have parental or legal responsibility for a child or young person with autism.
Course learning outcomes
On successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- help children develop their social relationships
- implement strategies for responding to challenging behaviours
- devise interventions that support family life. E.g. siblings, sleep, routines
- identify the impact of sensory issues and know how to plan ahead
- determine issues around community involvement and the reaction of the public
- recognise how to prevent burnout and maintain parental identity
This course is structured into four sections. Click on the section headings to reveal page titles.
- Understanding the needs and responses of others
- What can a parent/carer do?
- Social stories
- Communicating with children with autism
- Understanding abstract concepts
- Managing behaviour
- Managing behaviour (Part 2)
- Following instructions
- Obsessive behaviour
- Changes in routine
- Changes in routine (Part 2)
- Personal hygiene
- Leisure activities
- Making choices
- Sexual awareness
- Integrating with the local community
- Dealing with public reaction
- The uncertain future
- Parental burnout/maintaining parental identity
5 hours, 1-2 hrs per week
Flexible start date
Cost per place
Create an account
Start your learning journey by creating an account and gain access to our free courses and webinars.Create account / Log in
Certificate of Completion
Become a Delivery Partner
Are you a school or local authority looking for educational content to train large teams?
OLT has a range of partnering options to suit your organisation’s CPD needs and budget. Contact us to find out more.Contact us
Sign up for our regular newsletter to get updates on our free webinars, new courses and topical content on OLT.Newsletter sign-up