Have your say: Ofsted launch formal consultation around local SEND inspections
Date 17th Jun 2022
Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission (CQC) have launched a consultation to seek feedback from those who have experience with or expertise relating to, Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
Ofsted and CQC are welcoming views on their proposed changes to the way they jointly inspect area SEND arrangements. All feedback collated will be used to help them refine their plans and draft handbook before the launch of the new inspection in 2023.
The consultation is open to parents, carers, children, and young people as well local authorities, clinical commissioning groups, professionals and practitioners involved in the commissioning and delivery of services to children and young people with SEND.
They are seeking views on proposals which aim to:
- focus their inspections not just on whether statutory obligations have been met but on the impact that a local area partnership’s SEND arrangements has on the experiences and outcomes of children and young people.
- gather more evidence directly from children and young people and their families, ensuring that their views and experiences are central to our inspections
- look more closely at arrangements for children and young people in alternative provision
- include social care inspectors in their inspection teams, so that they can gain a more holistic view of the impact of SEND services in an area.
- strengthen accountability and drive continuous improvement by introducing:
an ongoing cycle of inspections, which include full inspections, monitoring visits and annual engagement meetings
inspection outcomes, which provide clearer information about how an area is performing, what needs to improve and who is accountable
an expectation that all areas produce and publish a strategic plan for SEND, which is updated following inspection.
Ofsted and CQC are consulting on 9 proposals based on these aims. They are also asking a tenth question about how to make surveys more accessible for children and young people.
Have your say
To find out more and have your say take part in the online survey here.
Please note that the closing date for this consultation is 11 September 2022 at 11:45pm.